Thursday, February 10, 2011

Your Epidermis Is Showing

I still remember how vulnerable I felt when some kid came up to me during recess in elementary school and loudly announced that my epidermis was showing.

What was this epidermis he was speaking of? I remember not wanting to make it too obvious, but I really wanted to check to see if my fly was down.

Epidermis just sounds kind of naughty, doesn’t it? It doesn’t really sound like what it actually is: plain old skin.

Pinky, on the other hand, is the perfect word for the body part it represents- small and cute. Nipple too. Perky and fun.

Middle finger and back, on the other hand, are both terribly uninspired.

Well, to me, the word pithy is like epidermis. Pithy doesn’t sound like what it actually means.

To me, pithy sounds like a weak little word. Like pity or pissy.

But, in reality, it means just the opposite:

brief, succinct, meaty and meaningful in expression

For example:

“That was a great speech.”
“Yes, it was quite pithy.”

Or

“Was it as good for you as it was for me?”
“Well, let’s just say it was pithy.”


11 comments:

Meg O. said...

LOL. I definitely learn something new with you every post.

Rachael said...

I remember when this was THE THING to say to embarrass someone.

keppi baranick said...

very cute, as usual.

Christopher said...

Ha, this is one of your funniest yet.

JJ said...

i never knew such a word existed.
thanks !

WritingNut said...

Haha.. great post! I remember that too, when kids used to come up and say that.. definitely a phase that lasted far too long ;)

Mary Aalgaard said...

I agree about pity. I don't use it for just that reason. I don't feel like it represents itself very well. I prefer concise, or clever, or witty. Like you!

Mary Aalgaard said...

I meant pithy - can't even spell it!

Hart Johnson said...

*snort* Oh, you are SO RIGHT. I really prefer words that don't mislead us. Pithy post, my friend.

Theresa Milstein said...

Ha! So you're saying some things are good when they're pithy and others... not so much?

Organic Meatbag said...

I'm not sure Iggy Pop has ever really owned a shirt...