Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Empire State of Mind

What do Jay-Z and I have in common? Well, my goodness, where do I start? We were both born in December. We both dig BeyoncĂ©. He has a net worth of over $450 million, and I would like to have a net worth of over $450 million. He has built his hip hop empire, and I am about to build an empire of my own. That’s right- I am about to become the Jay-Z of grammar.

This blog is just one piece of my grammar empire-to-be. To further promote grammar awareness, here’s what I have planned for Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares this year:

• Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares- the book:

I did it. I wrote a book. It’s kind of like the blog in that it provides funny grammar lessons (well, I think I’m funny), but I hand-picked the top ten errors that either confuse our readers or make them laugh at us. I am going to start querying agents soon. Wish me luck.

• Grammar fashion:

I don’t want to sound stuck-up, but the grammar t-shirts I designed are pretty damn adorable. I am hoping to have the t-shirts available on this blog by summer (but definitely by the end of the year).

• Super secret grammar awareness spreading project:

Okay, I may have lost my mind, but I am so excited about this project. I should have it completed by the end of April. I can’t wait to share it with you.

• Proofreading/editing services:

I need your help with this one. I am going to start offering a proofreading/editing service on this blog. But before I actually launch it, I would like to get some practice and some testimonials, so I am offering a free edit of up to five pages for the first ten people who express interest. If you are interested in having me edit something of yours (e.g., a query letter, an excerpt from your manuscript or proposal, a cover letter, an essay, a Dear John letter, a tweet), leave your email address in the comments section or email me at missedperiods@gmail.com, and I will contact you with details. In return, I ask that you write a short testimonial for me (only if I do a good job, of course).

I am aware that it’s going to be challenging for my grammar empire to survive in a time when many of grammar’s mortal enemies are thriving:



But as Jay-Z said, "I'd rather die enormous than live dormant."

(To clarify, I don't aspire to become enormous literally.)

19 comments:

Rachael said...

Really? A book? Congrats! I will buy a copy. Also, grammar-themed t-shirts: also a great idea. Hooray for big news!

Shannon said...

OMG - Congrats! This is fantastic news.

Also, I have a blog in my queue titled "Empire Apple State of Mind" that I was going to post tomorrow. No lie. Great minds.

Unknown said...

I would love to buy a book and a t-shirt. Sounds super!

Maria said...

Sending positive vibes your way re: the book. Can't wait to see it in stores and pick up my copy!

JJ said...

Oh wow. Congratulations, and I wish you luck for all the projects. Very inspiring :)

Joanna St. James said...

Good Luck, agents better snap up your manuscript fast.
This is so exciting.

Hart Johnson said...

This sounds like a PERFECT compliment to the Naked World Domination Tour! T-shirts--EXCELLENT! And I'm happy to refer people to you! Good luck with the book bit! I love grammar humor... along the lines of 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' I'm guessing...

Kelly Polark said...

I think your title is catchy and your book will do well!!! Tshirts are fun too! Can't wait to see them!!! This is very exciting! I'm hoping for great things for you!!!!

Talli Roland said...

Fantastic! I think it's high time you wrote a book - you have such a great way of making grammar interesting. Can't wait to hear more!

HulaBuns said...

You are going to do awesome!! I just know it! Should I send you some of my blogs to read before I post them? I'm kind of worried to find out what I've been doing wrong, but I just might take you up on that! I cannot wait to read your book! And SHIRTS! YAY! (Ok, so I'm a bit over-excited, but I'm happy for you!)

Any ways, I left you an award over at my blog. Make sure to check it out when you get a chance and take a break from your grammar-empiring. ;)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

That is so cool! Congrats on writing a book and preparing to query! Huge step. It all sounds pretty dang fantastic! Wish you the best. Looking forward to seeing the grammar shirts!

Meg O. said...

Exciting news! I would totally buy your book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Any grammar-themed iPad apps?

Stephanie Faris said...

I think a humorous take on grammar is DEFINITELY something the world needs. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you as you start querying!

Lydia Kang said...

Good luck on querying! It sounds like a great book.
:)
Nice to meet you and your blog!

Christopher said...

I love reading your blog and I don't even like grammar, so I think you might be onto something.

Also, will you edit the testimonials as well?

Mary Aalgaard said...

With a steady diet of ice-cream, you could reach your enormous goal. I think all your ideas are terrific. Your book will be a hit!!! We need more humor in grammar.

Amie Kaufman said...

Firstly, I would looove to buy a cute grammar t-shirt, bring that on. I hope they're going to ship to Australia!

Secondly, would love an edit if you're not booked up, and would be happy to write a testimonial in return. My email's amiekaufman ~at~ gmail ~dot~ com.

Theresa Milstein said...

I am not the only one who is excited about this, which is clear from the comments. Can't wait to see the t-shirts. Good luck querying. If you need any advice, send me an e-mail at tmilstein at gmail dot com.