Saturday, June 26, 2010

Off the Wagon

I have been watching hours and hours of World Cup soccer over the past couple of weeks. Am I a soccer fan? Not really. Is it because the soccer players are so hot? That may have a big something to do with it. But, if I’m going to be honest, I’m mostly doing it for the same reason I watched only the last two games between the Lakers and the Celtics: I’m jumping on the bandwagon.

I know that makes me kind of a poser, but, what can I say, I get all caught up in the hype.

Now, I don’t want you to think that I jump on the bandwagon of all popular fads. I still am unfamiliar with any Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga songs, and when I was in Vegas last weekend, I was reminded of a trend I won’t ever be on board with- this:


What is it with companies these days? Why are they using lowercase letters for their names? Here are some other offenders:


My theory is that this lowercase trend started with that little i in iPod, and since Apple is so successful, many companies jumped on the lowercase bandwagon. Now, it would be hypocritical for me to judge someone for jumping on a bandwagon, and it's not even the breaking of the capitalization rule that bugs me; it's that it doesn't work for everybody. It looks like at&t can get away with it, but does Treasure Island really want to update itself? I mean, the book was published in 1883. Shouldn’t they try to stick with the theme? (By the way, you should see Treasure Island’s -I mean ti’s -new pirate show. It involves one ship of pirates and one ship of booty short-clad sirens. This is one of the brilliant lines uttered by the sirens: “Who are you calling ahoy?”)

Moral of the story: Break grammar rules (and use puns) with care.

But, don't worry, I didn't spend my time in Vegas ranting about capitalization rules. Well, not all my time. I saw Cirque de Soleil, I won $35 at Roulette, and I while I was there, I found out I had won something else. James Garcia Jr. at Dance on Fire awarded me this:

One of my responsibilities as a Versatile Blogger award winner is to tell you seven facts about myself, so here they are:

1. I have never eaten a hamburger.

2. My name is Jenny, not Jennifer.

3. The only trophy I have ever won was for a read-a-thon in third grade.

4. I can't wink my right eye.

5. The nail on my pinky toe is almost nonexistent.

6. Richard Simmons held me when I was an infant.

7. I once counted out forty-five minutes because my parents told me that's how long we had left on our drive.

My second responsibility is to list fifteen other blogs I have been enjoying. I am going to start with five today (because I have to get to work). I will continue with the list throughout the week.

Drum roll please:

1. Nostomaniac: this entry was one one of the funniest things I have read in a while.
2. The Invisible Seductress: I laughed out loud when I read this.
3. Notes from Nadir: I just started reading this, and I can't wait to go back and read more. So far, I have read beautifully-written stories about her mom.
4. Health and Beauty by Keppi: Speaking of moms, this is my mom's blog. It makes me want to be healthier.






11 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I have to correct you. e.e. cummings began the lower-case trend. Apple ripped him off. When I ordered business cards, the one that had the nicest design and had enough characters for my e-mail and blog addresses also had lower-case letters.

Congratulations on your blog award.

Wendy Ramer said...

That's the Chilean team, isn't it? I'm hot for the first guy on the left...very ethnic, just my speed.

And I loved Nostomaniac's post too ;-)

keppi baranick said...

Jenny, thank you for my honorable mention. Love you.

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

you've never eaten a hamburger? Crikey! If it makes you feel any better, my pinky toenails are practically non-existent too :o)

fairyhedgehog said...

Oh dear. I started as Fairy Hedgehog but I've been fairyhedgehog for a long time now. I think it was laziness made me drop the capitals. (The name isn't even my own invention - I nicked it from a Terry Pratchett book).

Anyway, I love the name Jenny - as a kid if I could have changed my name that's what I'd have chosen.

And it sounds like you had fun in Vegas.

notesfromnadir said...

Thank you so much! I have added your link to my THANKS page for this cool award.

Wow, meeting Richard Simmons at such an impressionable age.

I also dislike the lowercasing of our language. But it's here for now & the words or initials are easier to type!

Georgina Dollface said...

Holy Crap! Richard Simmons held you when you were a baby! I thought the hamburger one was funny, but that takes the (fat-free, no sugar added) cake! - G

Samantha Bennett said...

But what a trophy to win! I'm guessing you were the proud owner of many Book It buttons too. :)

Mary Aalgaard said...

I also have funny pinky toes. I have a nail on them, but they don't have their own muscles. They lie on top of the next toe.

Cashon&Co said...

LOVE your list. I've never eaten an egg, but that's probably where the similarites end! hahahah
although my pinky toe might be similar to yours. hahah
(and i know i've mispelled similarites (and mispelled) but i'm too tired to go up and change it. just in case your "grammar brain" takes over. ) :) lol.
have a great weekend. you have a great blog, if i do say so again!

bscatty15 said...

I love your list of facts about yourself! I thought the pinky toe one was funny because I mean who the heck has perfect feet? My big toe on both feet lie under my smaller ones and when I put both feet side by side my two big toes form a V. Feet are disgusting.