Saturday, March 1, 2014

My Romantic Side



I’ve never seen The Notebook, I couldn’t care less about Valentine’s Day. I would roll my eyes if I walked into a candlelit bedroom with rose petals scattered on the bed.
 
In other words, I fear I am not terribly romantic. 

To prove, however, that I am not completely dead inside, I am a sucker for the movie Love Actually and I did do something romance-adjacent earlier this year. In January (can you believe it’s already March!) I gave a grammar workshop at the Orange County chapter of the Romance Writers Association. 

To prepare for the workshop, I interviewed literary agents about why grammar matters to them, the most common errors they encounter, and their biggest grammar pet peeves. And, because many of you are writers, I want to share my findings with you. 

But before I do that, I have a question for you: What do you think is the number one most common grammar-related error literary agents encounter? 

13 comments:

susie said...

I think we are the same person.

Commas?

My son says: to, too, two.

Andrew Leon said...

I don't even have a guess, but I think "commas" is too broad.

Kelly Polark said...

I'm not a romantic either. Haven't seen Love Actually OR The NOtebook!

Hmmmm. I don't know. I would love to know the most common mistake!

Shelly said...

Ummmm...run-on sentences?

Liz A. said...

Oooh, good question. I'm curious. What is the number one grammar error? I bet it's something obvious, like comma splices, or something kind of obscure... (Well, that kind of covers it, doesn't it?)

the late phoenix said...

yeah, commas:

i am dead inside my lovestorm.

i am dead inside, my lovestorm.

both describe me presently...

Jono said...

I tend to roll my eyes at overt romantic notions, also, but I am a softie inside.

Your, you're, yore? Comma abuse? Its, it's?

DiscConnected said...

I think I'd have to go with the crowd here and say comma errors.

I would hope most people run spell check before submitting...

And while I have seen many chick-flicks (can I still say that or is it now considered a hate crime?), I have never seen Love, Actually.

Larry

Talli Roland said...

I adore 'Love Actually'!

Hmm, yikes. Maybe . . . lack of paragraphs? Alot vs a lot?

Romance Book Haven said...

In my recent project I came across-then...than.

And past...passed.

Nas

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I'm a sucker for a good romance. I've seen The Notebook too many times to count.

Looking forward to reading about the agents' pet peeves.

Most common grammar-related error? I don't even have a guess.

Theresa Milstein said...

I like romantic comedies, but not romance. I never read romance novels.

Most common error I think would be comma placement. (Or am I thinking about me?)

Mark Murata said...

I would guess comma splice, what else could it be?