Thursday, January 21, 2010

iMadness










There are some recent trends I wholeheartedly support.

For example, I love the scarf:













It adds that je ne sais quoi to an otherwise basic outfit.

And the boots over the skinny jeans…













Both slimming and sleek, right?

But, on the other hand, there are some trends that make me want to quote Mugatu and scream,

Like gladiator sandals:








When I first saw them- I think attacking the feet/ankles/calves of an Olsen Twin- I assumed they'd soon be extinct due to their undeniable hideousness. But no, they became so popular I figured it was just a matter of time before I caved and bought a pair. But, I didn’t cave- that’s how much I loathe them.

There’s also this other confounding trend. It looks like this:
i
That's right: people are no longer capitalizing the word I. I'm not sure why this trend is so popular, but I’ve got some theories:

Theory one: We have been brainwashed by iPhone, iPod, and iMac.

Theory two: Self-esteem is at an all-time low.

If theory one is correct, just remember: Neo fought too hard for us to let the machines win.
And, if theory two is correct, simply repeat this daily affirmation:

“I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.”

And then capitalize your doggone I’s.

3 comments:

melanie said...

I fully agree with your views on gladiator sandals. I could never understand the desire to wear cages on one's legs.

Holly Vance said...

Is cancer capitalized? Is it one of those words that can go "both ways"? *insert Beevis and Butthead laugh*

Anonymous said...

Trends will come and go. Maybe one day big "I" will be cooler and little "i"